- LYON, Captain G.F.
- A Narrative of Travels in Northern Africa, in the Years 1818, 19, and 20; accompanied by Geographical Notices of Soudan, and of the Course of the Niger
- London: John Murray, Abermarle Street, 1821.
- FIRST EDITION. 4to, pp.xii, 383, 17 colour plates, large folding map. A very good copy bound in contemporary calf, panelled in gilt, and stamped in blind, neatly re-backed to match. Spine panelled and lettered in gilt, marbled edges and end papers. Bookplate to front pastedown of "George Savage Curtis." The author took part in the battle of Algiers in 1816. This work is an account of his journeys, illustrated with plates of sports, costumes etc. The work was also translated into French.
Colour plates in order:
1. Frontis. Costume of Tripoli. (female)
2. Costume of Tripoli. (male)
3. Triumphal Arch. Tripoli.
4. Arabs Exercising.
5. The Castle of Bonjem.
6. A Sand Wind on the Desert.
7. Piper and Dancer, Tripoli / Dancing Woman, Sockna.
8. The Castle of Morzouk.
9. Tuarick in a shirt of leather / Tuarick of Aghades.
10. Tuaricks of Ghraat.
11. Costume of Soudan.
12. Negresses of Soudan.
13. Tibboo Woman in full dress.
14. Tibboo of Gatrone.
15. A Tuarick on his Maherrie.
16. Camel conveying a Bride to her Husband.
17. A Slave Kaffle.
- Abbey Travel I 304; Tooley 311; Bobins I 104.
Blackmer 1044; Playfair Tripoli 147; Colas 1920.
- Hand coloured plates
- Africa, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID