- EGERTON, Michael.
- Airy Nothings; or, Scraps and Naughts, and Odd-cum-Shorts; in a Circumbendibus Hop, Step, and Jump, by Olio-Rigamaroll ...
- London: published by Thomas M'lean, 1825.
- Second edition. 4to (10 1/4" x 8"). 23 delightful hand-coloured aquatint plates by George Hunt after Egerton. Bound on old calf, skilfully re-backed boards with triple fillet borders; spine in six compartments with raised bands; morocco lettering-pieces in the second and third compartments, the others with repeat decoration in gilt; decorative inner dentelles in gilt top edge gilt. An excellent copy of the second edition of this rare, well-illustrated work that includes images of Scotland, the Lake District, Wales and Ireland. Egerton, following in the comic footsteps of William Combe, offers images of Edinburgh, Glasgow, New Lanark (the interior of Robert Owens Institution), Holyhead and Dublin. All well engraved by George Hunt and accompanied by loosely related prose and verse some of which is strangely reminiscent of Lewis Carroll's rhymes of fifty years later. The plates show humorous genre scenes holding up male and female costume as the butt of the humour. The work is written in the form of a journey starting in London.
Coloured plates in order:
1. [Picture of a Traveller sitting on his Trunk]
2. Street Breakfast.
3. Will Hackraw.
5. The Ne Plus Ultra of Bores.
6. Love Lane.
7. Inn-Midnight, Company Tired and Retired.
8. Scene-Country Fair.
9. Washerwomen. Carlton Hill, Edinburgh.
10. Porter, Fisherwoman & Journeyman Flesher; Auld Reekie.
11. Starting of a Stage-Coach - Edinburgh.
12. A Trip up Loch Lomand.
13. Returning from a Trip to Loch Lomand.
14. Scene near Glasgow.
16. Mr. Owen's Institution, New Lanark. (Quadrille Dancing)
17. Laking it, Uleswater.
18. Steam Packet - Holyhead to Howth.
19. Steam Packet, Holyhead to Howth.
20. Cab Drivers - Dublin.
21. A Ride up the Phoenix Park, Dublin.
22. Costume - North Wales.
23. A Rigmaroll.
- Abbey Life 290; cf. Colas I 938; Hiler p.263; Tooley 206; Bobins III 855.
- Hand coloured plates
- British Isles, Caricatures, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID