- WILLIS, N.P.
- Author 2
- Bartlett, W.H.
- American Scenery.
- London: 1840.
- 4to. 276 x 213 mm. (10 7/8" x 8 3/8"). Two volumes. FIRST EDITION IN BOOK FORM. Contemporary red half roan over marbled boards, spine with raised gilt bands, divided into five separate compartments, titled in the second compartment, and numbered in the fourth, also an embossed (repeat) motif in blind. Single line of gilt fillet to boards. Slight wear to extremities and boards. Coloured endpapers. Newly inserted inner cloth hinges, and with reinforced corners. An engraved frontispiece portrait, extra engraved titles with hand-coloured vignettes, a map of New England, and 117 FINELY HAND-COLOURED ENGRAVED PLATES after W. H. Bartlett as called for, all with original tissue guards. Bookplate of 'James Strohn Copley' on front pastedown (over that of an earlier owner). A rare hand-coloured copy from an indefatigable traveller. Bartlett's journeys through upstate New York, New England, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia, all conveying the spaciousness and grandeur of the the new country. *Rebinding and restoration work on this book was carried out by Ron Norman of Hartlepool. (Ronnorm@aol.com)*
Coloured plates in order:
1. Title page. Ascent to The Capitol, Washington.
2. [Map] The North Eastern Part of the United States
3. Niagara Falls from the Ferry.
4. View from West Point (Hudson River).
5. Trenton Falls, view down the Ravine.
6. View from Mount Holyoke.
7. The Outlet of Niagara River (Lake Ontario in the Distance).
8. The Pallisades - Hudson River.
9. The Rapids above the Falls of Niagara.
10. Saratoga Lake.
11. Colonnade of Congress - Hall (Saratoga Springs).
13. Crow - Nest from Bull Hill (Hudson River).
14. View below Table Rock.
15. Lake Winnipisseogee, from Red Hill.
16. The Tomb of Kosciusko.
17. The Horse Shoe Fall, Niagara - with the Tower.
18. The Narrows from Staten Island.
19. View of the Capitol at Washington.
20. View of the Ruins of Fort Ticonderoga.
21. View from Fort Putnam (Hudson River£.
22. State Street, Boston.
23. Niagara Falls (from near Clifton House).
24. View from Hyde Park (Hudson River).
25. Village of Sing - Sing (Hudson River).
26. View from Ruggle's House, Newburgh (Hudson River).
27. The Descent into the Valley of Wyoming (Pennsylvania).
28. Boston from the Dorchester Heights.
29. Faneuil Hall, Boston.
30. New York Bay (from the Telegraph Station).
31. Peekskill Landing (Hudson River).
32. Light House near Caldwell's Landing (Hudson River).
33. Harpers Ferry (from the Potomac side).
34. Caldwell (Lake George).
35. Centre Harbour (Lake Winnipisseogee).
36. Yale College (Newhaven).
37. The Willey House.
38. Battle Monument, Baltimore.
39. A Forest on Lake Ontario.
40. Viaduct on Baltimore and Washington Railroad.
41. The Indian Falls - near Cold-Spring (opposite West Point).
42. Columbia Bridge (on the Susquehanna).
43. The Genesse Falls, Rochester.
44. The Ferry at Brooklyn, New York.
45. Rail-Road Scene, Little Falls (Valley of the Mohawk).
47. The Landing, on the American Side (Falls of Niagara).
48. View from Mount Washington.
49. Mount Washington, and the White Hills (from near Crawford's).
50. The Park and City Hall, New York.
51. The Two Lakes and the Mountain House on the Catskills.
52. Trenton High Falls.
53. The Valley of the Shenandoah, from Jeffersons Rock (Harper's Ferry).
54. Lockport, Erie Canal.
55. The Tomb of Washington, Mount Vernon.
56. Black Mountain (Lake George).
57. Valley of the Connecticut (from Mount Holyoke).
58. View on the Erie Canal near Little Falls.
59. Hudson Highlands (from Bull Hill).
60. Villa on the Hudson, near Weehawken.
61. View of Meredith (New Hampshire).
62. Balliston Springs.
63. The Narrows (from Fort Hamilton).
64. The Notch House, White Mountains (New Hampshire).
65. Wilkesbarre (Vale of Wyoming).
66. Squawm Lake (New Hampshire).
67. Sabbath Day Point (Lake George).
68. Title page. Entrance to the Hudson Highlands, near Newburgh.
69. The Catterskill Fall (from below).
70. The Catterskill Falls (from above the Ravine).
71. Winter Scene on the Catterskills.
72. Roger's Slide, Lake George.
73. The Gothic Church (Newhaven).
74. Niagara Falls (from the top of the ladder, on the American Side).
75. Saw Mill at Centre Harbour (Lake Winnipisseogee).
76. Little Falls (on the Mohawk).
77. Bridge at Norwich (Connecticut).
78. Undercliff near Cold-Spring (the Seat of General George P. Morris).
79. Boston, and Bunker Hill (from the East).
80. Mount Jefferson (from Mount Washington).
81. Mount Tom and the Connecticut River.
82. The Silver Cascade (in the Notch of the White Mountains).
83. View of New York, from Weehawken.
84. The President's House, from Washington.
85. View on the Susquehannah, at Liverpool.
86. Desert Rock Light House (Maine).
87. Washington's House, Mount Vernon.
88. Village of Little Falls (Mohawk River).
89. Harper's Ferry (from the Blue Ridge).
90. Barhydt's Lake (near Saratoga).
91. Fairmount Gardens, with the Schuylkill Bridge (Philadelphia).
92. Sing Sing Prison and Tappan Sea.
93. Washington, from the President's House.
94. View of Baltimore.
95. The Exchange and Girards Bank (Philadelphia).
96. Principal Front of the Capitol Washington.
97. The Narrows, Lake George.
98. Natural Bridge, Virginia.
99. View of the Passaie Falls.
100. View of Northumberland (on the Susquehanna).
101. Pulpit Rock (White Mountains).
102. View of Hudson City and the Catskill Mountains.
103. Scene among the Highlands on Lake George.
104. Schuylkill Water Works (Philadelphia).
105. The United States Bank, Philadelphia.
106. Brock's Monument (from the American Side).
107. Village of Catskill.
108. View from Gowanus Heights, Brooklyn.
109. View on the Susquehanna (above Owego).
110. Bridge at Glens Fall (on the Hudson).
111. View from Mount Ida (near Troy)
112. View from Glenmary Lawn (on the Owego).
113. View near Anthony's Nose (Hudson Highlands).
114. Washington's Monument, Baltimore.
115. East Port and Passamaquoddy Bay.
116. Cemetery of Mount Auburn.
117. Northampton (Massachusetts).
118. Chapel of Our Lady of Coldspring.
119. View from the Mountain House, Catskill.
120. Faneuil Hall, from the Water.
- Hand coloured plates
- The Americas, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID