- WALTON, William.
- An historical and descriptive account of the Peruvian Sheep called Carneros de la Tierra...[and] An account of the Manure Guano...
- London: Printed for John Harding, 1811.
- Finely illustrated work on Peruvian sheep – hand coloured plates". 2 works bound in one volume; 8vo; first work: five hand coloured engraved plates; 19th century half cloth over speckled boards. Title in gilt to spine, some minor browning and foxing - else good condition. FIRST EDITION. The present book was written in the hope that "Peruvian sheep" could be raised in England and interbred with domestic sheep to improve the quality of British wool, making this product competitive with foreign wools. Individual chapters are devoted to the llama, the alpaca, the guanaco, and the vicuña; included is "an account of a successful attempt to domesticate the vicuña in England, and a recommendation of this species to cross with our native stocks.” The second work on guano is unknown to all bibliographies consulted. An unusual and most interesting work.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. Llama Puntera and Llamero in his Poncho.
- Hand coloured plates
- Animals, Natural history, South America
- Stock ID