- [Bemidbar - Book of Numbers...]
- 20th Century.
- Persian-Judeo manuscript work. Octavo, full leather ruled in blind and with repeat diamond motif to boards. Boards worn, some corners missing, spine needs attention. Persian in Hebrew characters? A book of numbers, published in the second half of the 20th century, this work is the 4th book of the Hebrew bible, & the 4th of 5 books of the Jewish 'Torah' (the central reference of Judaism). Numbers begin at Mt. Sinai, where the Israelities receive their laws from God. Numbers is the culmination of the story of the Israelites exodus from Egypt and journey to the 'Promised Land' (the land God promised to their fathers). "Bemidbar" is Hebrew for 'in the desert of...".
Coloured plates in order:
1. Battle between warriors on horseback, and on Elephant, more warriors look on in background.
2. People, and assorted animals sit and listen to words from a wiseman.
3. Two lovers embrace. (Joseph/Zulaykha)
4. Warriors fighting on horseback.
5. Nobleman sitting in his luxurious tent in the desert, surrounded by servants and attendants.
- Hand coloured plates
- Stock ID