- PLANCHE, James Robinson.
- Costume of Shakespeare’s Historical Play of 'King Henry the Fourth', parts 1st and 2nd...
- London: John Miller, 1824.
- FIRST EDITION. 12mo (17 x 10 cm); full green levant morocco binding; stamped in blind; title in gilt to spine; hand-coloured engraved vignette to title-page; 18 hand-coloured plates; marbled endpapers and edges. One of a series of six Shakespearian costume books by Planché. All are now scarce, but this one is the least encountered. The text consists of an introduction on the historical period of the play and its costume and heraldry, followed by a one- or two-page description of each of the 22 costume designs. The title-page and plates are all handsomely coloured by hand. Planché’s concepts of historical background, backed by research and given credence by his reputation as the authority, had an incontrovertible significance in transforming theatrical costuming. Bookplate: 'Ex Libris Bertram E. Shuttleworth' on front pastedown.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Coloured title page.
2. King Henry 4th. 1st Dress.
3. King Henry 4th. 2nd Dress.
4. Henry, Prince of Wales. 1st Dress.
5. Henry, Prince of Wales. 2nd Dress.
6. Henry, Prince of Wales. 3rd Dress.
7. An English Nobleman of the 15th Century in his State Dress.
8. Youth of Distinction. Temp: Henry 4th.
9. Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmoreland. 1st Dress.
10. Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmoreland. 2nd Dress.
11. Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick.
12. Armed Knight of the Reign of Henry 4th.
13. Sir William Gascoigne - Chief Justice of the King's Bench -Temp: Henry 4th.
14. Sir John Falstaff. 1st Dress.
15. Sir John Falstaff. 2nd Dress.
16. Companions of Falstaff.
17. Lady of Rank of the Reign of Henry 4th.
18. English Soldiery of the 14th & 15th Centuries.
19. Herald of King Henry 4th.
20. Sheriff of London. Temp: Henry 4th.
22. Mrs Quickly.
- LAR 3419; Hiler, p. 714; Jaggard, p. 249; Colas 2400.
- Hand coloured plates
- British Isles, Costume, Literature, Theatre
- Stock ID