- EVELYN, John.
- Diary and Correspondence of John Evelyn, F.R.S.
- London: Henry Colburn, 1854.
- A New Edition, in Four Volumes. Frontis. portraits in b/w and others are fantastic hand-tinted plates. Short thick 8vo, full panelled calf with elaborate raised gilt spine comprised of six compartments, beautiful inner dentelles, boards ruled in gilt. Marbled end papers, uncut edges, top edge gilt. Finely bound examples by Bayntun of Bath. Extra illustrated edition. John Evelyn (1620-1706) was born into a wealthy family in Wotton, near Guildford in Surrey. He was a writer, gardener and a famous diarist, and a contemporary of Samuel Pepys. Evelyn's diaries cast considerable light onto the art, culture and politics of the time. Although best known for his diaries, he also porduced books on: theology, politics, horticulture, numismatics and vegetarianism.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Wotton in Surrey, the seat of John Evelyn.
2. Front of Balliol College.
3. Boulogne Old Pier.
4. Pont Neuf, from Pont des Arts.
5. Vue du Louvre. Du Palais de L'Institut.
9. Colonnade of St. Peter's Rome.
10. Rome, Bridge & Castle of St. Angelo, The Vatican & St. Peter's.
12. The Bridge of Vico, Bay of Naples.
13. Wotton Church.
14. Rectory House, Wotton.
15. Newgate, Old Bailey.
16. Bath, from the Southern side of the Valley.
17. View of Marlborough.
18. New Bridge at Bath.
19. Salisbury Cathedral, Wilts.
20. Merchant Taylor's Hall, Threadneedle Street.
21. The N.W. Facade of the New Covent Garden Market.
22. Entrance to Newmarket.
24. Lincoln's Inn Hall, Chapel and Chancery Court.
25. Branch Hill Hampstead.
26. Hampton Court.
27. King James II (sepia.)
28. Lambeth Palace.
29. Westminster Hall.
30. Christ's Hospital. Newgate Street.
31. The Admiralty, Whitehall.
32. Bank of England.
33. Greenwich Hospital.
34. Ludgate, St. Pauls and Bow Church during the Great Fire 1666.
35. Thomas Egerton (sepia.)
36. Henrietta Maria, Queen Mother (sepia.)
37. John Digby, Earl of Bristol (sepia.)
38. Sir Robert Barkley, one of the Justices of the King's Bench (sepia.)
39. Henry Rich, Earl of Holland (sepia.)
40. View from the Terrace at Oat-lands.
41. The High Borne Prince James Duke of York (sepia.)
- Hand coloured plates
- British Isles, Culture/Lifestyle, Sepia, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID