- KOSKA, Ferdinand.
- Erinnerung an das Schlesische Gebirge. 1857.
- Breslau: Eduard Trewendt, 1848-1857.
- Album with 19 tinted lithographed views (ca. 15 x 22 cm) beautifully coloured by a contemporary hand and highlighted with gum arabic, mounted on grey wove paper with black border around each view, last 5 leaves left unused for later additions, and each leaf with a tissue guard. Binding rubbed and end leaves soiled, but otherwise in good condition. All plates from a series of views lithographed by Mercier and Loeillot, Berlin, after drawings by Ferdinand Koska, here with no captions, names of artist, engraver or publisher, or printed title. Contemporary blind- and gold-tooled morocco album, with title on upper board, white watered silk endpapers. Album with beautifully hand-coloured lithographed views of Silesia, a historical region now divided between Poland, Germany and the Czech Republic. The views were originally produced for a very rare series of views by Ferdinand Koska, published in 4 parts from 1848 to 1862, and published together in 1862, containing 47 plates, as Sudeten-Album, die Schlesichen Bäder und ihre Umgebungen (only 3 copies located, at least 2 uncoloured). All prints in the present album come from the first 3 parts of this series and the title on the binding dates the album 1857. Ferdinand Koska (1808-1862) was a Polish (Silesian) artist, well-known for his miniatures and views, and "einen der geschiktesten Zeichner seiner Zeit in Schlesien" (Thieme & Becker). Including the following views (taken from other copies of the same prints).
Coloured plates in order:
2. Nieder Salzbrunn
3. Ober Salzbrunn
4. Die Elisenhalle in Salzbrunn
5. Altwasser von der Schweizerei aus gesehen
6. Die Mittelbrunnen in Altwasser
9. Kÿnau und Schlesierthal
10. Burg Kÿnau
15. Stohnsdorf und der Prudelberg
Please note: With the locations of the scenes written on the tissue guards, but apparently incorrectly, for they almost never correspond to those indicated on other copies of the same prints.
- Not in Abbey; for Koska: Thieme & Becker XXI, pp 332-333; Sudeten-Album - Engelmann p.971; Silesian Digital Lib (1 copy); WorldCat/KVK (3 copies)
- Hand coloured plates
- East European, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID