- JACKSON, Charles Thomas.
- First Report on the Geology of the State of Maine.
- Augusta: Smith and Robinson, 1837.
- 2 volumes: Oblong Atlas volume containing 21 hand coloured lithographs, 3 black and white lithographs; text volume in small 4to, pp. 127, (1) being List of Plates (in the Atlas) accompanying this Report. Atlas with original grey boards and paper title label to upper, recent burgundy corners and spine with titles in gilt. Text volume recently bound to match. Atlas boards a little rubbed, its original title label with 2 minor chips; unobtrusive blind stamp to upper corner of first black and white plate; faint toning to verso of plates, colouring bright. Text volume with occasional light browning. In all a superior copy. RARE. Only one complete copy at auction in the past 35 years.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Limestone with Fossil Shell Impressions.
2. Brecciate Green Marble & Red Sandstone.
3. Grand Falls of the River St. John.
4. Mount Ktaadn from W.Butterfield's (1836) near the Grand Schoodic Lake.
5. View down St. Croix River with The Devil's head from above the Ledge.
6. Breccia Liberty Point, Robbinston.
7. Red Sandstone, Pulpit Rock. Perry bearing N.W.
8. Pulpit Rock near Lewis Cove, Perry ME. View from the East, Aug 1836.
9. Trap-Dyke in New Red Sandstone, Friendship's Folly Island
near L'Etang N.B.
10. View of Lubec & Campo-Bello from Eastport, ME.
11. Greenstone Trap. Old Friar's Head, Campo-bello, bearing East, Oct 1836.
12. Disposition of Slate & Greenstone Trap-Rocks. West Quoddy-Head.
13. West Quoddy Head Lighthouse.
14. Point of Maine, exhibiting the disposition of Red Sandstone, Limestone and Greenstone Trap.
15. Greenstone Trap-Dyke, intersecting the Porphyry, at Yellow Head Island, off Bucks Harbour.
16. Variegated Marble, Red Sandstone & Trap Rocks. Starbord's Creek, near Machias.
17. Mount Desert, bearing N.W. 10 miles.
18. Granite Mountains in Mount Desert.
19. Cape Rosier, Talcose & Micagrous Slate.
20. View of Camden & the Penobscot Bay, from the Megunticook.
21. Megunticook Mountain & entrance to Camden Harbour.
- Hand coloured plates
- The Americas, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID