- ALKEN, Henry Thomas.
- Author 2
- M [ichael] E [gerton].
- Flowers From Nature by Peter Pasquin [and] The Drawing Book [and] Symptoms of Being Amused [and] British Proverbs [and] Involuntary Thoughts [and] Comparative Knights [and] Tutors Assistant, and two other suites; a collection of forty-one hand colored
- London: Thomas McLean, 1823-25.
- Oblong folio (10 x 14 inches; 256 x 360 mm). Thirty-six hand colored lithograph plates by Alken and five hand colored lithograph plates by M.E. [Michael Egerton]. Twentieth-century half calf over red cloth boards. An exceptional collection containing quite rare suites, some of extreme scarcity, and two of which are equestrian-themed. All plates in fine condition with only occasional mild soiling to margins. While primarily known for his sporting prints, the collection under notice provides an attractive overview of the verve suffusing Alken's humorous caricatures. More to the point, however, is that Drawing Book, Symptoms of Being Amused (Second Series), and Comparative Knights are of the utmost rarity in any state of completion or condition with no copies located in OCLC/KVK. Drawing Book and the equestrian-themed Comparative Knights were last seen at auction in 1912. Tooley declares Symptoms of Being Amused (Second Series) "extremely rare." British Proverbs was last seen at auction in 1992. The last five plates are by Michael Egerton and are most amusing, their captions exhibiting puns, wordplay, irony, and a general sense of humor popular in the British Music Hall that would later be echoed by burlesque and vaudeville comedians in the United States: Title: A Helping Hand Caption: "John, I'm going to have to raise your rent."
"Sir, I'm very much obliged to you for I can't raise it myself!" (tacit rimshot). In addition to the two suites that are specifically equestrian-themed, many of the other suites contain plates with horse imagery. The Plates By Henry Alken: Flowers From Nature by Peter Pasquin. 1824. (Six plates complete). (Houfe, p.217) . 1-6. Untitled, each with six images. Drawing Book. 1824. (Three of six plates)
Colour plates in order:
1. Flowers from Nature (6 sketches: Scarlet Runner/ Lily of the Valley / Honey Suckle / Night Blowing Ceres / Loop In / Hare Belle).
2. Flowers from Nature (6 sketches: Sweet William / John-Quill / Mary-Gold / Narcissus / Dandy-Lion / Cow-Slip).
3. Flowers from Nature (6 sketches: Poppy / An Enemy / Hearts Ease / Everlasting / Stocks / Pink).
4. Flowers from Nature (6 sketches: Sweet Pea / Batchelors Buttons / Sun Flower / Iris / Arose / Wall Flower).
5. Flowers from Nature (6 sketches: London Pride / Blue Belle / Snap Dragon / Snowdrop / Lark-spur / Lily).
6. Flowers from Nature (6 sketches: Prim-Rose / Balsom / Butter Flower / Thrift / Columbine / Monks Hood).
7. Drawing Book (3 sketches: Drawing Room / Drawing Water Cart / Drawing Wine).
8. Drawing Book (5 sketches: Drawing a Countryman / Drawing Attention / Drawing Breath / Drawing a Bear / Drawing a Crowd).
9. Drawing Book (5 sketches: Drawing Blood / Drawing Teeth / Drawing a Watch / Drawing a River / Drawing a Customer).
10. Symptoms (4 sketches: of drawing a Horse / of drawing a Water Butt / of drawing off Beer - and - kisses / of drawing Wire).
11. Symptoms (6 sketches: of drawing a Horse and Gig / of drawing a Man / of drawing a Smock Frock / of drawing Tears / of drawing Pity / of drawing a Hurdle).
12. Symptoms (4 sketches: of drawing the Long Bow / of drawing an Old Fool / of drawing a Cellar / of drawing a Young Fool).
13. British Proverbs (5 sketches beginning with 'Life without a friend'...' and ending with 'The greatest strokes...'
14. British Proverbs (5 sketches beginning with 'Good to begin well...' and ending with 'Take heed you find not...'
15. British Proverbs (5 sketches beginning with 'He who would have...' and ending with 'Who would be a Gentleman...'
16. British Proverbs (4 sketches beginning with 'The Horse thinks...' and ending with 'They are poor hearts...'
17. British Proverbs (5 sketches beginning with 'They who love most...' and ending with 'The Nightingale and the Cuckoo...'
18. British Proverbs (4 sketches beginning with 'All things are soon prepar'd..." and ending with 'The last suitor wins...'
19. Involuntary Thoughts (5 sketches beginning with 'May temptation never...' and ending with 'Involuntary Fun...'
20. Involuntary Thoughts (4 sketches beginning with 'Involuntary Bondage' and ending with 'and love without fear'
21. Involuntary Thoughts: (2 sketches beginning with 'Long Acre' and ending with "Going Post .
22. Involuntary Thoughts (3 sketches beginning with ' a Man of some Weight...' and ending with 'May the endeavour...'
23. Involuntary Thoughts (3 sketches beginning with 'More Friends and less need of them' and ending with 'and Days of Ease".
24. Involuntary Thoughts (3 sketches beginning with 'A Water party...' and ending with 'A Fowl Conspiracy'.
25. Involuntary Thoughts (3 sketches beginning with 'May we never want...' and ending with 'May genius & merit never...'
26. Involuntary Thoughts (6 sketches beginning with 'May we never feel want...' and ending with 'Life to a man that has courage...'
29. Comparative Knights. 'Knights as they were'.
30. Comparative Knights. 'Knights as they are'.
31. Tutors Assistant (6 sketches beginning with 'Letters are divided into...' and ending with 'True cheerfullness makes a Man...'
32. Tutors Assistant (5 sketches beginning with 'A Verb Neuter...' and ending with 'A Verb Passive...'
33. Tutors Assistant (3 sketches beginning with 'The Glittering prospect...' and ending with 'Nouns of Place...'
34. Tutors Assistant (4 sketches beginning with 'A Dipthong is the meeting...' and ending with 'A Consonant is a thing...'
35. Tutors Assistant (4 sketches beginning with 'Imperative Mood..." and ending with 'Conjunctions are of several kinds...'
36. Tutors Assistant (3 sketches beginning with 'The feminine gender...' and ends with 'We should always prepare for...'
37. A Helping Hand.
38. New way to pay old debts.
39. A Morning Call.
40. The Feeling Heart.
41. Killing no Murder.
- Tooley 21 and Hardie, p. 320. (British Proverbs). Tooley 39 (Involuntary Thoughts). Tooley 59 (Tutor's Assistant)D
- Hand coloured plates
- Alken, British Isles, Caricatures, Costume, Culture/Lifestyle
- Stock ID