- SEGAR, William.
- Honor, military, and civil, contained in four books...
- London, Robert Barker, 1602.
- FIRST EDITION. 8 full page engraved portraits by William Rogers, with latin inscriptions, woodcut printer's device and Tudor Rose on title, large woodcut Tudor Arms on verso, woodcut historiated and foliated initials. Typographical and decorative head and tailpieces, all hand coloured by a contemporary hand. Contemporary calf, richly gilt with ruler border and five large arabesque pieces at sides. Without F2 blank, occasionally light dust soiling, a few marginal tears, touching text only at F4, rubbed, spine skilfully restored.
A rare hand coloured example of the first edition of Segar's best known work. The eight portraits of late 16th century European rulers are particularly striking. Sugar was a herald who held the office of Garter king of arms from 1604, and also a painter of significance courting Robert Dudley, first Earl of Leicester, Robert Devereux, second Earl of Essex, Sir Francis Drake and Queen Elizabeth among his sitters. PROVENANCE: Richard Ottley (1626-70; signature and acquisition date, May 18th 1649); Mary Edwards (early signature); Edwards, or Edwardes, baronets of Shrewsbury (late 17th or early 18th century bookplate, by descent to:) Sir Henry Hope Edwards, 10th Baronet (1829-1900), Linley Hall.
Coloured plates in order:
**The coloured initial letters, and the decorative head and tail pieces are too numerous for listing or photography**
1. Title page.
2. Dedication page with coloured initial letter 'C'.
3. Large coloured initial letter 'F' to begin the first book.
4. Attractive coloured header and initial letter 'T' to begin the second book of Knighthood.
5. Portrait of Charles Howard, Earl of Nottingham.
6. Portrait of Maximilian of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Holy Roman Emperor.
7. Portrait of Henry III, King of France, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania.
8. Portrait of Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy.
9. Portrait of Henry of Bourbon, King of Navarre, Duke of Vendome, and the future King Henry IV of France.
10. Portrait of Godrey Adelmar.
11. Portrait of Thomas Docwra, Grand Prior to the English Knights Hospitaller.
12. Portrait of Alfonso, King of Castile.
13. Coloured Insignia for the Knights of Alcantara.
14. Coloured Insignia for the Knights of Montesio.
15. Coloured Insignia for the Knights of Redemption.
16. Coloured Insignia for the Teutonic Knights.
17. Coloured Insignia for the Knights of the Sepulchre.
18. Coloured Insignia for the Knights of St. Mary.
19. Coloured Insignia for the Knights of St. Lazaro.
20. Coloured Insignia for the Knights of St. Stephano.
21 Coloured chapter header for the third book and a coloured initial letter 'T'.
22. Coloured chapter header for the fourth book and a coloured initial letter 'T'.
23. A Bishop's Mitre.
24. A King's Crown.
25. An Archduke's Crown.
26. A Duke's Crown.
27. A Marquesses Crown.
28. An Earl's Crown.
29. A Viscount's Crown.
- STC 22164; Thimm, p.263; Luborsky & Ingram, pp.671-72.
- Hand coloured plates
- 18th Century & earlier, History - Europe, Portraits
- Stock ID