- FRANKLAND, Sir Robert.
- Author 2
- Alken Henry.
- [Hunting Sketches] Indespensible Accomplishments.
- No place: imprint date to plates '1811', but watermarked 1881
- Oblong folio (10 7/8 x 15 inches). 6 hand-coloured etched plates by Frankland. Contemporary red half morocco over green paper-covered boards; red morocco title label on upper cover lettered in gilt 'Hunting Sketches/ by / Henry Alken'. Corners repaired and strengthened, new cloth hinges, respond in leather. Provenance: Oliver Hazard Perry Belmont (1858-1908 armorial bookplate). The Belmont copy: a rare issue of an early work which inspired Henry Alken. The original series with an engraved title was published by H. Humphreys in 1811. 'This set was drawn and engraved by Sir Robert Frankland... It was in fact the appearance of this set that prompted Alken to publish his 'Qualified Horses or Unqualified Riders' or the Reverse of Sporting Phrases taken from the Work entitled 'Indispensable Accomplishments'. *Rebinding and restoration work on this book was carried out by Ron Norman of Hartlepool. (Ronnorm@aol.com)*
Coloured plates in order:
1. Going along a slapping pace.
2. Topping a flight of Rails, and coming well into the next Field.
3. Charging an Ox-fence.
4. Going in and out clever.
5. Facing a Brook.
6. Swishing at a Rasper.
- Schwerdt I p.187). Cf. Schwerdt I 187; cf. Siltzer Story of British sporting prints 122; Bobins II 772.
- Hand coloured plates
- Alken, British Isles, Sports/Hunting
- Stock ID