- HAWKER, Peter.
- Instructions to Young Sportsmen in All that Relates to Guns and Shooting
- London, Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1838
- With 8 plates hand-coloured, numerous woodcuts in text. xxv, 549 pp, 8vo: Eighth edition, corrected, enlarged, and improved. Lovely, full dark red morocco with gilt border fillets and design in blind to boards, spine in six compartments, lettered in the second compartment, all others with a gilt sporting motif. All edges gilt, and gilt inner dentelles, marbled end papers. Fine copy in its own distinctive red cloth slipcase for protection. A most interesting book covering such sporting topics as: General advise for the health and comfort of a young sportsman, Diseases in Dogs, Preservation of Game, Water-proof Dressing for Boots, Gun Cases, Guns and Gun Makers and Hutch-Trap for Vermin.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. "Arrival, from the Longparish hills, into the valley, for the last hour's shooting on the 1st September; with double mounted Markers, and other Assistants.
2. Portrait of the Author.
3. Mud-Launchers, on the oozes, off Lymington, shoving their Punts up to Wigeon.
4. Approaching Wildfowl, preparative to the flowing tide.
5. Punt & Gear for a 200lb Gun.
6. Commencement of a Cripple-Chase, after firing 2lbs of Shot into a Skein of Brent Geese, & Two Wild Swans.
7. Invisible Approach for Wild Birds on Land.
8. Hut Shooting on the French System.
- Tooley 256; Abbey 'Life in England' 389;
- Hand coloured plates
- British Isles, Sports/Hunting
- Stock ID