- FRANCE, Anatole.
- La Rotisserie de la Reine Pedauque.
- Paris: Rene Kieffer, 18 rue Seguier, 1923.
- Lovely edition, illustrated by Joseph Hemard, with 34 coloured pochoirs. One of 50 copies (this is number 37) on Cuve vellum, with a suite of black and white illustrations, and an original signed watercolour. One of Hemard's most luminous illustrations. In original paper wrappers, with a coloured illustration to front cover, uncut.
This is an historical novel, first published in 1893. The main characters are: 1. Ange, a drunken capuchin; 2. A Chambermaid; 3. M. d'Astarac, a Gascon gentleman; 4. Abbe Jerome Coignard, a Doctor of Philosophy. 5. The Jew - Mosaide. The novel is a narrative that describes the tribulations of the young Jacques Menetrier at the beginning of the 18th century. The title refers to the eponymous rotisserie where the narrator was born and grew up. *The Rotisserie de la Reine Pedauque was a long time famous restaurant in Paris, not far from the Saint. Lazare train station*. Anatole France (1844-1924) was a French poet, novelist and journalist.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Small coloured illustration of a couple.
2. Illustration to title page.
3. Cook reading a book whilst turning a roasting spit in a kitchen.
4. A drunken monk (Ange) attacking another fellow.
5. An advance by a gentleman to a lady in a library.
6. An amorous embrace on a bench at night.
7. A woman appears semi-naked before two bearded sailors.
8. A lively discussion between two gentlemen.
9. Two gentlemen looking out of a window.
10. A brilliant shining sun, spawning naked maidens.
11. Various miniaturised people, in stoppered jars, on a bench, in a garden.
12. M. d'Astarac and friend, visit Abbe Jerome Coignard.
13. The Jew, Mosaide, reading ledgers or scrolled parchments.
14. A lady and a gentleman meet inside a horse drawn carriage.
15. A group of naked nymphs, with fiery hair, descend on a gentleman, on his knees in a prayer like position.
16. A late night assignation?
17-18. M. d'Astarac and the Chambermaid.
19. A lady throwing a jug of water out of an upstairs window.
20. Startled men seated around a table, accompanied by a semi-naked lady.
21. A liveried servant is knocked down at night, in the street, and hitting his head.
22. Three gentlemen in a garden at night, one reads to the other two from a book.
23. Someone shrieks at M. d'Astarac from their front door, in their night clothes.
24. A couple tussle with each other in their bedroom.
25. The Chambermaid and a gentleman become intimate on a chair.
26. Low born women seen in the back of a waggon, looked on by a servant.
27. Horse and carriage seen in a windswept, rainy urban scene.
28. A terrified woman is being sexually assaulted by a man in a house, while another man eats, and a cook/wife looks on.
29. A young couple make love in a hay loft at night.
30. Two gentlemen meet after dark.
31. Jehel sits by the bedside of Abbe Jerome Coignard.
32. A strange dream.
33. A meeting in a graveyard after dark, between Jehel and a gentleman.
34. A street view of the house that belongs to the title of this work.
- Hand coloured plates
- France, Literature, Pochoir
- Stock ID