- CLARETIE, Jules.
- Author 2
- Georges Tiret-Bognet (illus).
- Le Drapeau, ouvrage couronne par l'Académie Française.
- Paris; Calmat-Levy, 1886.
- 1 volume in octavo, cornered half binding in vellum, red and blue rule to boards, marbled boards, original watercolour to spine. Original blue wrappers preserved [Lanscelin]. New edition printed on laid paper and enhanced with a portrait frontispiece. Uncut copy. Red top edge. In good condition. UNIQUE copy enhanced with 22 marginals watercoloured by Georges Tiret-Bognet, all signed and dated 1891.
Coloured plates in order:
2. Title page.
3. Soldier and man on horseback.
4. Soldier pointing to the word 'patrie' (country).
5. Soldiers marching. Napoleon on horseback. Illustration to chapter 1.
6. Soldier and bayonet.
7. Wellington and soldiers.
8. a pair of soldiers from different regiments.
9. Napoleon on surveying the scene in the aftermath of battle.
10. Two generals talk in battle, one clutched the French Tricolour.
12. Two elderly gentlemen talk to an elderly lady in her home.
13. french town scene. Horse drawn omnibus and passengers in background.
14. Soldier marching through a street.
15. Soldiers celebrating in a the street.
16. Men digging a grave, watching by an elderly gentleman.
18. An old soldier celebrating, or shouting in a street.
19. A pair of soldiers watch as a shabbily dressed elderly man (an old ex soldier?) passes them by on a country road.
20. The same old man sits in a cafe, thinking and drinking by himself.
21. Soldier with his bayonet.
22. Some memorial garlands, tied with the French colours, watched over by a soldier.
- Vicaire, II, pp.498-499.
- Hand coloured plates
- France, Literature, Military, Watercolours
- Stock ID