- Les Evangiles des Dimanches et Fetes de l'Année.
- Paris: L. Curmer, 1864.
- FIRST EDITION. 3 vols in 2. Quarto. One volume is text only with many uncoloured woodcut engravings, a large tipped in photographic plate and 79 tipped in photographs mounted within fine engraved borders. Bound in half brown morocco. The second volume has many exquisite chromolithographs of illuminated manuscripts of the 12th, 13th, and 14th centuries, hand coloured and often heightened in gold. Handsomely bound in full brown morocco, signed by Curmer. Intricate pattern in dark leather and gilt lined to boards, Lettered in gilt to spine, raised bands with gilt, all edges gilt, gilt inner dentelles, satin doubleurs pastedown and endpapers. A fine and beautiful example of this superb work. Curmer photographed the ancient illuminations, which were then coloured on the spot. From these he produced the fine chromolithographic plates used to produce this work. The subjects range from the Carolinian Period to the Renaissance.
The lavish woodcut borders of the text volume are also designed from originals of the same periods. The use of tipped in photographs within these borders (at the time) was novel and remains effective. There is also a detailed appendix, explaining each of the chromolithographs. This work represents the finest of 19th century printing technology.
Once owned by successive members of the Journet family from 1864 (first entry) until 1941 (last entry).
**Because there are so many coloured illustrations, i have only selected a few examples to illustrate this work.**
Some coloured plates.
1. Title page.
2. No.161 exemple de Monsieur Alphonse Journet.
3. Souvenirs de Famille.
4. Mars. Religious calendar for the month of March.
5. Accompanying illustration showing agricultural work typically carried out in the month of March.
6. Plate XXXVI.
7. St. Mark.
8. Baby Jesus being born in a manger in a stable.
9. La Circoncision.
10. The baptism of Christ by John.
11. A decorative text page.
12. (As above.)
13. Le Dimanche da la passion Evangile selon St. Jean.
14. Christ carrying his heavy wooden cross to Calvery.
15. Christ on the Cross.
16. Christ has risen.
17. Le Troisième Dimanche après La Pentecôte. Evangile selon St. Luke.
18. St. Paul.
19. Fete de la dedicace Evangile selon St.Matthew.
20. Psalms CXXXVI & CXXVII.
21. De Conceptione.
22. Ave Maria.
23. The infant Jesus with his mother.
24. The Martyrdom of St. Catherine.
- Hand coloured plates
- Chromolithographs, France, Religious/Christian
- Stock ID