- LIVINGSTONE, David.
- Livingstone's Travels and Researches in South Africa...
- Philadelphia: J W Bradley, 1860.
- xiv+442+[24 ads] pages with twelve hand coloured lithographic plates, including a frontispiece. Octavo (8" x 5 1/2") Issued in brown embossed cloth with a pictorial stamped in gilt to upper board, in blind to the lower board, gilt lettering on spine. Coloured endpapers. Minor foxing and toning throughout. Some wear to top and tail of spine - else good. First published in England in 1857. Third edition.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. The Missionary's escape from the Lion.
2. The Hopo or Trap for Driving Game.
3. The Pit at the extremity of the Hopo.
4. Hottentots - Women coming from the water - Men around a dead Hartebeest.
5. Discovery of Lake Ngami byc Livingstone, Oswell amd Murray.
6. Three Lions attempting to drag down a Buffalo.
7. Female Buffalo defending her Young.
8. Bechuana Reed Dance by Moonlight.
9. River Scenery on the West Coast.
10. Boat capsized by a Hippopotamus robbed of her Young.
11. Female Elephant pursued with Javelins, protecting her Young.
12. The Travelling Procession Interrupted.
- Abbey Travel 347.
- Hand coloured plates
- Africa, Chromo added colour, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID