- ENGELBACH, Ludwig.
- Author 2
- Thomas Rowlandson.
- Naples and the Campagna Felice. In a series of letters, addressed to a friend in England, in 1802
- London, Published by R. Ackermann, 1815.
- 8vo [24 x 15 cm]. 4 400  pp. + one leaf (directions to the binder) + engraved hand coloured title (Etruscan design in black and bistre enclosing title and aquatint view) + engraved hand coloured frontispiece (signed T. Rowlandson delt et sculpt) + 2 hand coloured engraved maps (one folding) + 14 hand coloured aquatint plates (no. 4 is a hand coloured etching). Contemporary green half morocco, gilt to spine in six compartments, title in gilt to second compartment. First illustrated edition.The text by Lewis Engelbach originally appeared in Ackermann's 'Repository of Arts 1809-13' under the title "Letters from Italy" - without plates except for the map of Capri. Probably only nine of the plates are by Rowlandson and of these only number one carries Rowlandson's signature.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Engraved frontispiece. "If, while entranced in balmy rest..."
2. Engraved title page - featuring a small coloured oval vignette in lower half.
3. Map of the Country, Islands, &c in the vicinity of Naples.
4. Don Luigi's Baggage Seized by Four Lazzaroni.
5. Plan of the Barracks, Theatres &c, of Pompeii.
6. View of the Temple of Isis in Pompeii.
7. View of the Gate & High Street of Pompeii.
8. Ancient Greek Paintings from Herculaneum (2).
9. Don Luigi meets Donna Anna in the Museum.
10. Ancient Greek paintings from Herculaneum (3).
11. Sleeping Tete a Tete, at a first visit of Don Luigi's.
12. Map of the Island of Capri in the Gulf of Naples.
13. Don Michele getting up the ship's side.
14. Don Luigi's Ball.
15. A Bacchanalian Scene at Don Luigi's Ball.
16. A view near Naples.
17. Don Michele preparing for his triumphal expedition.
18. The Letter Writer.
- Tooley 419; Bobins II 600; Abbey Travel 166.
- Hand coloured plates
- Caricatures, Italy, Rowlandson
- Stock ID