- ELWOOD, Mrs. Colonel
- Author 2
- [Anna Katherine]
- Narrative of a journey overland from England, by the Continent of Europe, Egypt and the Red Sea to India, including a residence there, and voyage home, in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28. In two volumes
- London: Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley, 1830.
- FIRST EDITION. 2 vols. 8vo pp. [xvi] 429; xii 400. (lacks a half-title) in vol. 2). Bound with 6 tinted aquatint plates by J. Clark after drawings by Col. Elwood and the author. Bound in modern quarter calf over marbled boards; raised bands in gilt and black leather title labels and new endpapers. A nice clean and bright copy. The Elwood's travelled in a Takhtrouan or Palaquin, sailing in Cangais, Dhows and Patte, and living in tents, Caravanseras and Durrumsallahs through France to Italy then to Alexandria, up the Nile to Kinne, across the Red Sea to Bombay. The return trip was by sea via Ceylon and The Cape. Includes appendices with detailed itineraries and costs etc. The plates include views of: Takhtrouan, Abadiah in the Desert of the Thebaid, Yambo and Mountains near Medina.
Coloured plates in order:
2. Adabiah in the Desert of the Thebaid.
3. Yambo and Mountains in the vicinity of Medina.
5. Mosque of Goolam Ali, at Kerah.
6. Hill Fort of Bhoojia.
- Robinson 14; Abbey Travel 521
- Hand coloured plates
- Arabasia, India - sepia, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID