- ROWLANDSON, Thomas.
- Poetical Magazine.
- London: R.Ackermann, [1809-11]
- 8vo. pp. 1 p.l. iv -404 index; 1 p.l. 372 index; 1 p.l. 364 index; 1 p.l. 342 index. 4 engraved titles & 52 aquatint plates by Thomas Rowlandson & others 50 hand-coloured). 19th century diced calf gilt backs with rule in gilt to boards. Spines comprised of five elaborate gilt compartments with raised bands. Red leather title labels in the second compartments and red leather volume number labels in the fourth. All spines have been professionally repaired to tops and tails, with joints renewed. Marbled edges and coloured end papers. Some scattered foxing and plates with occasional offsetting. This work "is chiefly remarkable as the first appearance of the famous Doctor Syntax, who, under the title 'The Schoolmaster's Tour', ran through the whole of the publication.....a difficult work to find complete" (Abbey
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. Doctor Syntax.
2. View in Italy.
3. Mansion House Monitor.
4. Doctor Syntax, loosing his way.
5. Doctor Syntax, stopt by Highwaymen.
6. Doctor Syntax bound to a tree by a Highwayman.
7. View near Seville in Spain, by Moonlight.
8. Doctor Syntax, disputing his bill with the Landlady.
9. A View near Naples.
10. Doctor Syntax copying the Wit of the Window.
11. A View on the Lake of Como.
12. Doctor Syntax entertained at College.
13. Doctor Syntax pursued by a bull.
14. Conway Castle, Caernarvonshire.
15. Frontispiece. Mistakes a Gentlemans House for an Inn.
16. The Castle of Baron Hulembert.
17. Doctor Syntax meditating on the Tomb Stones.
18. Edwin & Matilda.
19. Doctor Syntax tumbling into the Water.
20. The Beach King discovering himself to Matilda.
21. Doctor Syntax loses his money on the Race Ground at York.
22. Tintern Abbey.
23. Doctor Syntax at a Review.
24. View of a Cottage in Wales.
25. Doctor Syntax with my Lord.
26. Doctor Syntax made free of the cellar.
27. A View near Berwick upon Tweed.
28. Doctor Syntax Sketching the Lake.
29. Castle of Caldwal, Scotland.
30. Doctor Syntax drawing after nature.
31. Dover Castle.
32. Dr. Syntax robb'd of his Property.
33. Abbey Ruin.
34. Doctor Syntax sells Grizzle.
35. Harleigh Castle, Merionethshire.
36. Doctor Syntax, Rural Sport.
37. A Cornish Cottage.
38. Doctor Syntax & Dairy Maid
39. Denbigh Castle.
40. Frontispiece. Doctor Syntax at Liverpool.
41. A View on the Thames near Vauxhall.
42. Doctor Syntax reading his Tour.
43. Abbey Church, Bath.
44. Syntax preaching.
45. College Green, Bristol.
46. Doctor Syntax & Bookseller.
47. Equality (sepia).
48. Doctor Syntax at Covent Garden Theatre.
49. Netley Abbey.
50. Doctor Syntax taking possession of his Living.
- Abbey Life 214; Tooley 421; Prideaux pp. 128 & 131.
- Hand coloured plates
- British Isles, Caricatures, Rowlandson
- Stock ID