- PAPWORTH, John Buonarnotti.
- Rural Residences, consisting of a series of designs for cottages, decorated cottages, small villas and other ornamental buildings, accomponied by hints on situation, construction, in the theory and practice of rural architecture....
- London: For Ackermann by J. Diggens, 1818
- FIRST EDITION. Imperial 8vo. 27 coloured aquatint plates for Regency cottages and villas in neo-classical Gothic and Italianate styles and observations on landscape gardening. Full blue calf binding with decorative design in gilt and in blind to boards; spine with raised bands gilt in; six separate compartments, with red morocco title label in the second compartment; inner dentelles in gilt; marbled edges and endpapers; bookplate "Ex Libris Robert Frederick Green, 1909" affixed to front pastedown. MS signature to prelim "William E. Fiske, October 23rd, 1946." The colour plates, showing elevations and plans with scenery, are arranged in order beginning with cottages, through villas to additional structures for large estates such as lodges and seats.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontis. A Bath.
2. Four Cottages for Labourers.
3. Cottage adapted to Garden Scenery.
4. Steward's Cottage.
5. A Bailiff's Cottage.
6. Gothic Cottage.
7. Cottage Ornee.
8. As above.
9. A Gothic Cottage.
10. A Cottage Orne, (farmhouse or ornamental cottage).
11. A Vicarage House.
12. A Cottage Ornee designed for the neighbourhood of the lakes.
13. Cottage Ornee designed for an exposed and elevated situation.
14. A Cottage Ornee designed for garden scenery etc.
15. A Villa designed for a small family.
16. A Villa adapted to park scenery.
17. A Villa designed as the residence of an artist.
18. Plan of a Cottage Ornee.
19. Park Lodge and entrance.
20. A Park Entrance adapted to the residence of a Nobleman.
21. A Gothic Conservatory.
22. A Dairy.
23. Fishing Lodge.
24. an Ice House.
25. Garden Seats (2).
26. A Verandah.
27. A Domestic Chapel.
- Tooley 359; Bobins II 699; Abbey 'Life' 45; Prideaux p. 347.
- Hand coloured plates
- Architecture/Mansions, British Isles
- Stock ID