- TRESHAM, Henry.
- Author 2
- William Young Ottley and Peltro William Tomkins.
- The British Gallery of Pictures selected from the most admired productions of the Old Masters, in Great Britain; accompanied with descriptions, historical and critical.
- London: printed by Bensley & Son for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and others, 1818.
- One volume, large folio; green morocco, decorated spine, comprised of six compartments (with gilt raised bands), titled in the second compartment, and dated in the fifth compartment. Double gilt filets and framing on upper and lower boards, all edges gilt, decorative inner dentelles, spine rubbed and worn (Contemporary binding). Bound by Herring. with his ticket. The Hatham Hall copy. FIRST EDITION. A SPECIAL COPY. Half-title, title, two leaves dedication, pp. [iii-viii], one leaf table of engravings, 25 fine coloured stipple engravings on stiff boards with gold, labels pasted on verso of each plate (except for 5 plates), all accompanied with a leaf of description. Two plates and 2 pages slightly bumped in margins. Labels missing: plate 4 (The Holy Family). Good condition.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Heads of the Apostles by Giotto di Bondone.
2. The Nativity. [The Madonna and Child] by Domenico Chirlandajo.
3. Madonna and Child by Raphael Sanzio di Urbino.
4. The Holy Family by Raffaelo.
5. The Madonna, the Infant Christ and St. John by Raphael Sanzio di Urbino.
6. The Holy Family with the Infant St. John by Giulio Romano.
7. The Virgin and Child Elizabeth and St. John by Andrea del Sarto.
8. Gaston de Foix by Giorgione da Castel Franco.
9. The Vision of St. Augustine by Benvenuto da Garofolo.
10. La Madonna del Gatto by Frederico Baroccio.
11. Children at Play by Niccolo Poussin.
12. Mid-day by Claudio Lorenese.
13. The Marriage of St. Catherine by Parmigiano.
14. The Horn-Book by Bartolommeo Schidone.
15. Lot and his Daughters by Guido Reni.
16. Christ in the Sepulchre by Guercino.
17. Woman taken in Adultery by Rubens.
18. The Incredulity of St. Thomas by Adrian Vander Werf.
19. An Aquatic Fete at Dorn by Cuyp.
20. The interior of a Cottage by Adrian Vander Ostade.
21. The Bonnet Vert by David Teniers Jnr.
22. Gerhard Dow by Gerhard Dow.
23. The Village Festival by Philip Wouwermans.
24. Landscape and Figures by Berghem.
25. Evening by Paul Potter.
- Brunet III, 393; Tooley 492; Abbey 'Life in England' 209.
- Hand coloured plates
- Art, British Isles, Culture/Lifestyle
- Stock ID