- The Escutcheons of the Twenty-Five Barons who were appointed to enforce the observance of Magna Carta, together with the will of King John and The Arms of the witnesses thereto...
- 19th Century
- 44 vellum leaves (and two blanks) with beautifully rendered hand painted heraldic arms, hand-written Gothic type and decoration in the style of a Medieval illuminated manuscript, although this is a product of a later era (probably the nineteenth century). Beautifully and expertly bound by Denis Gouey in full sheep skin over wooden boards, with sterling silver metal edges, clasp and centrepiece mounted decoration within which is set a polished stone (malachite), creating a binding evocative of monastic craftsmanship as well as one of extraordinary beauty. 8vo (7.25" x 5" or 18 x 13 cm). This is a beautiful one-of-a-kind book which is a work of art in its own right. Book or library plate on recto of front fly leaf with moto: 'Vernon Semper Viret'.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Decorative title page.
2. William de Albini...Baron of Belvoir.
3. Roger Bigot...Earl of Norfolk & Suffolk.
4. Hugh Bigot...heir to the Earldoms of Norfolk & Suffolk.
5. Henry de Bohun...Earl of Hereford.
6. Rithard de Clare...Earl of Clare & Hertford.
7. Gilbert de Clare...heir to the Earldoms of Clare & Hertford.
8. John Fitz-Robert...Baron.
9. Robert Fitz-Walter...Lord of Dunmow
10. William de Fortibus...Earl of Albermale.
11. William de Hardell...Lord Mayor of London.
12. William de Huntingfield...Sheriff of Norfolk & Suffolk.
13. Geoffrey de Mandeville...Earl of Earl of Essex & Gloucestershire.
14. William de Lanvallei...Lord of Stanway Castle.
15. William Malet...Sheriff of Somerset & Dorset.
16. John de Lacy...Lord of Pontefract Castle.
17. William Marshall...heir to the Earldom of Pembroke.
18. Roger de Montbegon...Lord of Hornsby Castle.
19. Richard de Montfichet...Baron.
20. William de Mowbray...Lord of Axholme Castle.
21. Richard de Percy...Baron.
22. Sayer de Quincey...Earl of Winchester.
23. Robert de Roos...Lord of Hamlake Castle.
24. Geoffrey de Say...Baron.
25. Robert de Vere...heir to the Earldom of Oxford.
26. Eustace de Vescy...Lord of Alnwick Castle.
27. "Regis Johannis Testamentia."
28. A page of text.
29. As above.
30. "The Will of King John."
31. A page of text.
32. "Arms of ye witneses to ye will of King John."
33. James de Cuallo...Bishop of Vercelli.
34. Peter de Rupibus...Bishop of Winchester.
35. Richard Poore...Bishop of Chichester.
36. Sylvester de Evesham...Bishop of Worcester.
37. Armerie de Sancto Mauro...grand master of Templars in England.
38. John de Monemue (Monmouth).
39. William Marshall...Earl of Pembroke.
40. Ranulf Blundevill(e)...Earl of Chester.
41. William...Earl of Fferrers & Derby.
42. William de Briouze.
43. Walter de Lacy.
44. Savezy de Mauleon.
45. Fulke de Breaute (Brent).
- Hand coloured plates
- Heraldry, History - England, Manuscript
- Stock ID