- The French Revolutionary Wars.
- London: Laurie & Whittle, 1794.
- Folio. A fine series of original hand coloured copperplate engravings of French battle scenes, during their revolutionary wars towards the end of the eighteenth century. All the 12 engravings, in old mounts, with two to a page were originally purchased in loose from have now been professionally bound into book form. Half leather over attractive marbled boards; title label to upper board; black title label to spine. Plates age toned and with some foxing and some old stains.
Coloured plates in order:
1. The Battle near Tournay, May 8th 1793 in which the FRENCH were defeated by the ALLIED ARMY under his Royal Highness the Duke of York.
2. FURNES was taken Sep. 26th 1793 by the FRENCH, and delivered up to PLUNDER.
3. The Siege of VALENCIENNES by the ENGLISH TROOPS, July, 1793.
4. The Duke of York defeated the FRENCH near CATEAU April 26th, 1794 when their General Chapuy was taken Prisoner with 350 Men. They lost 35 pieces of Cannon, & 12,000 Men were killed.
5. The FRENCH repulsed by the BRITISH TROOPS at WILLIAMSTADT, & obliged to retreat March 6th 1793.
6. The FRENCH were surrounded and defeated by the Prussian General Mollendorff near LAUTERN, with the loss of 18 Cannon 1,000 Men killed, 2,000 taken Prisoners.
7. The FRENCH attacked TOULON by LAND, when it was evacuated by the ENGLISH FLEET, December 19th, 1793.
8. BASTIA in the Island &Kingdom; of CORSICA, was besieged by the ENGLISH under LORD HOOD, & surrendered May 22nd, 1794.
9. The FRENCH defeated the SPANIARDS, and took the City of St. Sebastian.
10. A View of the Taking of CALVI in the Island of CORSICA, by LORD HOOD, Aug 10th, 1794.
11. The POLANDERS were defeated by the PRUSSIANS, and their General Kosciusko taken Prisoner, Oct 10th, 1794.
12. The Siege of ANTWERP by the FRENCH when it surrendered July 23rd, 1794.
- Hand coloured plates
- 18th Century & earlier, France, Military
- Stock ID