- ROWLANDSON, Thomas.
- The Grand Master or Adventures of Qui Hi In Hindostan a Hudibrastic Poem in Eight Cantos
- London: Thomas Tegg, c.1816.
- Large 8vo in contemporary half crimson with marbled boards; flat spine with title in gilt. Ex-libris of 'John.T. Beer' to front paste down and Ex-libris of ' J. Barton Townsend' to front free end paper. Folding hand coloured frontis; engraved hand coloured title page and 26 engraved lithographed plates by Thomas Rowlandson - 25 of which are hand coloured. P. frontis title blank iii-x 1-252 (jump in pagination from pge 30 to page 33). A few short tears in the text are repaired otherwise and excellent copy; text and plates are clean and crisp. This is a work of political satire directed against the Marquis of Hastings who was the Governor General and commander of the British forces in India at the time. The text is by William Combe.
1. A New Map of India from the Latest Authority (folding plate).
2. Title page.
3. [A Scene in the Channel].
4. The Modern Idol Juggernaut.
5. Miseries of the First of the Month.
6. The Burning System Illustrated.
7. Missionary Influence or How to make converts.
8. An Extraordinary Eclipse.
9. Labour in vain or his reverence confounded.
10. Hindoo prejudices.
11. John Bull converting the Indians.
12. More Incantations or a Journey to the interior.
13. Miseries in India.
14. The Bear and Ragged Staff.
15. Hindoo Incantations a View in Elephanta.
16. Phantasmagoria a View in Elephanta.
17. The Modern Phaeton or the Hugely in Danger.
18. Qui Hi arrives at the Bunder Hotel.
19. Qui Hi in the Bombay tavern.
20. Pays a nocturnal visit to Dungaree.
21. Attends General Koir Wigs Levee.
22. Qui Hi's Introduction & cool reception.
23. Qui Hi shews off at Bobbery Hunt.
24. Qui Hi at Bobbery Hall.
25. All Alive in the Chokee.
26. Last Visit from Doctors Assistant.
27. Qui Hi's last march to Padree Burrows's Go Down.
- Tooley 412; Abbey Travel 437;
- Hand coloured plates
- Caricatures, India, Rowlandson
- Stock ID