- FURNIVAL, F. J.
- Author 2
- Horace Howard Furness and Edward Dowden.
- The Shakespeare Gallery.
- London: The Royal Shakespearean Society, 1908.
- 10 volumes. 353 x 280 mm. (13 7/8" x 11"). The Royal Academy Series. BEAUTIFUL CONTEMPORARY RED MOROCCO, covers gilt with triple fillet border, elaborate floral corner-pieces featuring an inlaid green morocco leaf adorned with the gilt masks of Comedy and Tragedy, from which six leafy branches emanate, five of them terminating in Tudor roses; the covers each featuring a large and ornate central cartouche with azure frame adorned with flowers, fruit, and acanthus leaves, the head and foot of the frame repeating the Greek Comedy and Tragedy mask motif, the centre of the cartouche containing an heraldic shield surmounted by an eagle holding a lancet in his upraised talon, beneath it a scroll with the quote "All the World's a Stage and all the Men and Women Merely Players". Green silk end papers, half title, all edges gilt, gilt raised bands on spine in six decorative compartments, title in the second compartment, volume number in the fourth. Each volume has a front pastedown scene - a beautifully coloured photogravure or engraving that is depicted elsewhere in the volume in black and white. Each has an outer triple gilt fillet with corner motifs of gilt and inlaid green morocco, closer to each illustration are yet more triple gilt fillets connecting with a decorative repeat leaf motif in gilt and one further single gilt fillet laid upon green morocco. In excellent condition.
Colour plates in order:
1. The Merry Wives of Windsor. Ada Rehan and Miss Dreher as Mrs. Ford and Mrs. Page.
2. The Comedy of Errors. Robson and Crane as the Two Dromios.
3. The Taming of The Shrew. John Drew as Petruchio.
4. King Henry the Fourth - Part Second. Falstaff and his Page.
5. King Henry the Sixth - Third Part. Death of the Earl of Warwick.
6. King Richard the Third. Junius Brutus Booth as King Richard.
7. Romeo and Juliet. Juliet and the Nurse.
8. Anthony and Cleopatra. Cleopatra before Caesar.
9. Hamlet. Edwin Booth as Hamlet.
10. Othello. Tomasso Salvani as Othello.
- Hand coloured plates
- British Isles, Literature, Theatre
- Stock ID