- SHOBERL, Frederic (Ed)
- The World in Miniature - South Sea Islands: being a Description of the Manners, Customs, Character, Religion, and State of Society among the various great tribes scattered over the Great Ocean, called the Pacific, or the South Sea
- London: R. Ackermann, n.d. 
- FIRST EDITION. 2 vols.12mo. pp. xvi 320 & [ii] 325; 26 hand-coloured plates; very good in 19th c. roan; gilt title to spine; top edge gilt; slight wear to extremities; hinges cracked and worn, otherwise a very good set. Provenance: with the bookplates of "J. B. Bowden" and MS ownership inscriptions of "Everard im Thurn" dated 1910 to front pastedown and front flyleaf. Issued as part of the series 'The World in Miniature' under the editorship of Shoberl for Ackermann's Repository of Arts, these volumes draw on works by Cook Mariner Kotzebue Campbell and reports by the London Missionary Society for their information. Sections are devoted to Hawaii Tonga Easter Island Fiji New Zealand the Radack Islands Pitcairn (with details of the Bounty and the Pandora) and others. The illustrations are due to Lieutenant Gardiner for the natives of the Marquesas or in many other instances to Choris draughtsman with Kotzebue. Everard im Thurn a previous owner of these volumes is known mainly for making the first ascent of Roraima the highest 'table-top' mountain in Venezuela. In 1910 when he signed these volumes he was Governor of Fiji a position he held between 1904 and 1911.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. Dance of the Friendly Islands.
2. Sandwich Islander.
3. Woman of the Sandwich Islands.
4. Morai of the King of the Sandwich Islands.
5. Dancer of the Sandwich Islands.
6. Native of La Magdalena (Marquesas Islands) with a Club.
7. Young Man of the Marquesas, not completely tatowed.
8. Jean Baptiste Cabri.
9. Man of Distinction of the Marquesas.
10. Native of La Magdalena (Marquesas Islands) with a Sling.
11. Native of La Magdalena (Marquesas Islands) with a Fan.
12. Frontispiece. Chief of the Romanzoff Islands.
13. Man of Easter Island.
14. Woman of Easter Island.
15. Man of the Feejee Islands.
16. Man of New Zealand.
17. Girl of New Zealand.
18. Woman of the Saltikoff Islands.
19. Man of the Radack Islands.
20. Woman of the Tchichagoff Islands.
21. Labeleoa, Chef of the Kotousoff Islands.
22. King of the Caroline Islands.
23. Woman of the Caroline Islands.
24. [Facsimile of a native letter]
25. Kadoo, a native of the Caroline Islands.
26. Double Canoe of New Caledonia.
- Sabin 80556 (part); Abbey Travel 6 (part); Ferguson 985; Hill Pacific Voyages p. 570 (part); Tooley 515.
- Hand coloured plates
- Ackermann, Costume, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID