- MONNIER, Henry. (artist)
- Theatre des Vari.
- Paris: [ca. 1829]
- 4to (27.7 x 20.3 cm) Etched portrait of the artist dated 1840 in two states including one hand-coloured  p. autograph letter signed by Monnier dated 1844. 6 hand-coloured plates lithographed by E. Ardit, the final plate repeated in black & white state, all mounted on guards; light marginal spotting in corners due to glue and paper remnants to versos. Nineteenth-century marbled boards with brown grained morocco covers with twin gilt rules to boards; smooth spine decoratively tooled and lettered in gilt; marbled endpapers; minor rubbing to extremities. Provenance: J.R.C. (gilt lettered to spine foot). RARE COLLECTION OF HAND-COLOURED LITHOGRAPHS FROM THE FRENCH STAGE. These illustrations were a possible interpretation of 'L'Espionne episode de 1808 en cinq parties' a play published in 1829 and written by M. M. A. Dartois and Charles Dupeuty however no published copies of this play have been found bound with these illustrations. As a boy Monnier had been fond of fairs and popular entertainments and in maturity he was fascinated by everything having to do with the stage. "Monnier's command of this little world is authoritative and he presents it with vivacity" (Ray). A contemporary and peer of Dumas Balzac Stendahl Merim.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Henri Monnier 1840.
2. Theatre des Varietes. Daudel - role de Dominique, dans L'Espionne.
3. Theatre des Varietes. Odry - role de Paternick, dans L'Espionne.
4. Theatre des Varietes. Hyppolite Roland - role de Meunier, dans L'Espionne.
5. Theatre des Varietes. Mme Lafond - role de Louise, dans L'Espionne.
6. Theatre des Varietes. Mme Vautrin - role de Gott, dans L'Espionne.
- Ray: The Art of the French Illustrated Book 135.
- Hand coloured plates
- Costume, France, Monnier, Theatre
- Stock ID