- HARDY, Robert William Hale.
- Travels in the Interior of Mexico, in 1825, 1826, 1827, & 1828.
- London: Henry Colburn & Richard Bentley, c.1829.
- Late 19th-century full gilt vellum, gilt lines enclosing gilt floral tooling, flat spine in three compartments of gilt lines and gilt floral tooling, gilt black morocco label on two, board edges and inner dentelles gilt-tooled, all edges gilt, blue endpapers. Illustration Complete with 8 plates, including two maps (one folding), and 6 hand-coloured aquatints, depicting the life of north western Mexico. Tall 8vo. A very good copy, text and plates are clean and crisp. Pagination P. (6), title, printers imprint, preface iii-iv, to the reader v-vi, contents vii-xiii, errata, 1-540, (6). A very good copy, text and plates are clean and crisp. Previous owner's inscription on the front free endpaper, dated July 1834. This book describes the politics, society and economy of Sonora and Baja California in the north west of Mexico a it was in the 1820's. The author, traveled to Mexico in his capacity as commissioner for the General Pearl and Coral Fishery Association of London, and wrote this book to supply information regarding the less documented regions of the Mexican north west.
Coloured plates in order:
1. The Game of Monte, in the streets of Mexico.
2. A Pilgrimage performed in Mexico.
3. A Mexican Cavallero.
4. Morning Salutations in Mexico.
5. A Water Carrier in Mexico.
6. An Evangelista, or Letter-Writer in the Haza Grande of Mexico.
- Sabin 30357; Hill 137; Abbey Travel 669.
- Hand coloured plates
- The Americas, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID