- SCHMIDTMEYER, Peter.
- Travels into Chile over the Andes in the years 1820 and 1821...
- London: S. McDowal, 1824.
- One of the nicest travel books of South American interest; with delightful hand color plates - 4to; modern 3/4 calf over marbled boards; spine lettered and decorated in gilt; top edge gilt, others uncut; marbled endpapers; bookplate affixed to front pastedown; corners 'bumped' and some wear to top and tail of spine and board extremities. 2 folding plans + 29 plates on 29 sheets, 9 of which have fine contemporary hand colouring. FIRST EDITION IN ENGLISH. Schmidtmeyer's work, contains "sketches of the productions and agriculture; mines and metallurgy; inhabitants, history, and other features, of America; particularly of Chile, and Arauco. Schmidtmeyer began his journey to Buenos Aires, and gives an account of that City; he then travelled through the Argentine, across the Andes, and through Chile to Santiago.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontis. Scenes at a Fair.
2. Plan of the City of Santiago, the Capital of Chile (large folding plan).
5. Silver and Copper Works.
6. Hacienda or Country Mansion.
7. Timber and Iron Bars conveyed by Mules.
8. The Mint of Santiago.
9. The Canada. Santiago.
- Abbey 'Travel' 715; Bobins I 25; Sabin 77692.
- Hand coloured plates
- South America, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID