- [BLOXAM, Richard Rouse.]
- Urania's Mirror or a View of the Heavens.
- London: Samuel Leigh, 18 Strand, (1825)
- 4to. FIRST EDITION. 32 (complete) charming tissue backed cards on which are represented all the constellations visible in Great Britain. In its original cardboard box with pictorial printed title label laid on. Black and white frieze of classical theatre masks surrounds the four sides of the lid. Box in good overall condition, having had some professional repair work carried out. Cards in attractive original colour. "...one of the most charming and physically attractive of the many aids to astronomical self-instruction produced in the 19th century...each [card] is pierced with holes corresponding in size to the magnitudes of the brightest stars. When held to the light, they give a realistic representation of the constellation pattern." (Hindley) A good clean set. *Rebinding and restoration work on this book was carried out by Ron Norman of Hartlepool. (Ronnorm@aol.com)*
Coloured plates in (no particular) order:
3. Monoceros, Canus Minor.
4. Gloria Frederici, Abdromeda and Triangula.
5. Taurus Poniatowsky, Serpentarius, Scutum and Serpens.
6. Draco and Ursa Minor.
9. Leo Major and Leo Minor.
10. Aries and Musca Borealis.
11. Pegasus and Equuleus.
12. Canis Major and Lepus.
13. Noctua, Corvus, Crater, Sextans, Hydra, Felis and Antilia Pneumatica.
14. Delphinus, Sagitta, Aquila and Antinous.
15. Cetus, Apparatus Sculptoris, Officina Chemica and Machina Electrica.
18. Bootes, Canes Venatici and Coma Berenices.
20. Hercules and Corona Borealis.
22. Sagittarius and Corona Australis.
25. Camelopardalis, Tarandus and Custos Messium.
26. Ursa Major.
27. Perseus and Caput Medusae.
28. Lacerta, Cygnus, Lyra, Vulpecula and Anser.
- Hindley P.D. Journal of the British Astronomical Association, volume 104, 1994, p. 238-239.
- Hand coloured plates
- British Isles, General, Religious/Christian
- Stock ID