- DODWELL, Edward.
- Views in Greece, from drawings by Edward Dodwell, Esq. F.S.A. Etc
- London: Rodwell and Martin, 1821.
- Folio, original red straight grained morocco boards, well restored but scuffed and worn. Title in gilt to spine, raised bands, with several gilded compartments, title in second compartment. Elaborate blind and gilt borders to upper and lower boards. Title, list of plates and one leaf of general text - 26 of 30 SUPERB HAND COLOURED PLATES ON THICK CARD WITH GREYISH BORDERS - all with accompanying leaf of text in English and in French. The volume is missing 4 plates but the text to these plates is present. Wanting the following plates: plate 2 Dinner at Crisso, plate 14 Temple of Jupiter, plate 15 Athens, plate 24 Mount Olympus. Bobins notes "these illustrations had been intended for the account of Dodwell's travels, but the cost proved prohibitive, so thirty illustrations were selected to appear separately".
Coloured plates in order:
1. Port Bathy and Capital of Ithaca.
3. The Kastalian Spring.
5. Ruins of Orchomenos.
6. Katabathron of Lake Kopais.
7. View of The Parthenon.
8. The West Front of The Parthenon, and the Erechtheion.
9. South-West View of the Erechtheion.
10. Entrance to the Towerof the Winds.
11. Dance of the Derwisches.
12. Bazar of Athens.
13. Entrance to Athens.
16. South-East View of the Temple at Sunium.
17. Temple of Jupiter Panhellenios.
18. Interior of Jupiter Panhellenios.
19. Monastery of Phaineromene.
20. Pass of Thermopylae.
21. Village of Portaria.
22. The Hyperian Fount.
25. Sepulchre of Hassan Baba.
26. The Gate of the Lions at Mycenae.
27. Plain of Olympia.
28. Temple of Apollo Epicurius.
29. Lake of Stymphalos.
30. Monastery of Megaspelia.
- Tooley p 158; Bobins I 136; Abbey Travel 130; Atabey 357; Colas 875; Blackmer 493.
- Hand coloured plates
- History - Europe, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID