- SIMON, Frederic Emile.
- Author 2
- Johann Pedraglio.
- Vues de Bale.
- Basle: Johann Maehly-Lamy, [ca.1840].
- 13 lovely lithographs and 1 engraving, all coloured by a contemporary hand, cut close to the border of the image, and all but one mounted on a leaf with lithographed border. Contemporary blind blocked cloth, each board with a single fillet border in gilt and upper board also with the title in gilt.
Collection of rare, beautifully hand coloured views of Basle, including, the Barfusserkirche, St. Paul's Gate, the casino, the "nouvel hopital", two different views of Basle Minster, and others. The collection was apparently assembled from separately published prints by the publisher, whose engraved advertisement is still present on the front paste-down. Four of the prints are signed by the artist Johann Pedraglio, active in Zurich 1840-86, and one by Ch. Muller. They were lithographed by Frederic Emile Simon (1805-86), but his name has been trimmed off. All illustrations appear to have been otherwise published only separately and are now rare. The single engraving appears to have been added at a somewhat later date as the colouring and size differ. Some foxing and spots on a few of the tissue guards, a couple of leaves nearly detached. Prints in very good condition. Binding slightly rubbed and spine a little faded.
Coloured plates in order:
1. [Untitled, but Bale Minster.]
3. Le nouveau Casino au bord du Rhin.
4. Le Pont du Rhin.
5. L'Encien Couvent des Cordeliers.
6. Le Casino.
7. La Porte de St. Paul.
8. La Cathedrale.
9. Le nouvel Hôpital.
10. Le quai du Rhin.
11. La Fontaine sur la place du marche de poissons.
12. L'Hotel de Ville.
13. Le Monument de St. Jaques errige en 1824, par le Bourgois.
14. Bale prise de la promenade de St. Jean.
- For Pedraglio: Thieme & Becker XXVI, p.342; for Simon: Thieme & Becker XXXI, p.54; not in Engelmann.
- Hand coloured plates
- 13 + 1
- Swiss, Travel/Scenery
- Stock ID