- LAAN, Adolf van der.
- Zee, land, en stroom lust bestaande in ... verscheyde gezigten binnen en buytenlandsche vaartuygen en scheepen zoo als men de zelve heedendaags bouwt. Naar 't leeven geteekent van verscheyde liefhebbers, en in't kooper gebragt door A. van der Laan
- Amsterdam: Petrus Schenk, (after 1726)
- Attractive nautical engravings & delightful sea, land, and river prospects . Oblong folio. Modern three-quarters green grained morocco set off with gilt decorated borders, ribbed spine with title lettered in gold, marbled endpapers. Full-page engraved title-page, and 18 (out of 20) full-page engraved plates (ca. 21 x 34 cm), depicting different types of ships by Petrus Schenck after the designs of Adolf van der Laan. All plates are beautifully coloured by hand, set off with a red and black border, and have captions in Dutch, French and English underneath. The plates depict different types of ship including; inland, seagoing, vessels, merchant, V.O.C., whaling and warships. In addition the engravings show several sailing manoeuvers such as; getting under sail, tacking, jibbing, anchoring &c. The engravinged titles are in English, Dutch and French.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Decorative title page.
2. A Koffe Shipe near Broeck by Enkhuysen.
3. A Turfe Shipe and the Sand ponte of Amsterdam.
4. A Greenland man, and the haven of Rotterdam.
5. A Smal Shipe.
6. A Birthman of Zeland and the Geitstek near Harlingen.
7. A Smack and sight of Enckhuysen.
8. A Gaffel Schute, and the haven of Harlingen.
9. A Vriesland Smack, with Ropsyl from the West.
10. A Dutch Hekboat, tacking a bout.
11. Two Dutch East indie men, and a smal dutch Fregate.
12. A Dutch Fregate, or Merchant men, tacking about.
13. Een Oorlogh Schip.
14. A Dutchman of War.
15. A 2nd Rate Dutch men of war, bearing the vice Admiral Flag, preparing hem self to kome to an Anchor.
16. A 4th Rate Dutch men of war, English built hawling up her forsail.
17. A 5th Rate Dutchmen of war, getting under Sail, and some fisher Boats.
18. A Sea Battel between Maltees men of war and three Algerian privatteers.
19. A 4th Rate French men of war, Reding att her Anchors in a Storm.
- Cat. Scheepsmodellen ... 1600-1900 (NHSM; 1943), p. 167; De Groot & Vorstman, Dutch Sailing Ships, p. 17, 23; Maggs, Bibl. Nautica II, no. 631; Thieme & Becker XXII, pp. 159-160 (V.d. Laan); Jan Pluis, 'De invloed van de etsen van A. van der Laan op de te tegelschilders van schepentableaus' in: 'Jaarboek Schepvaart Museum 1966, pp.53-57, not in Bruzelius, Cat NHSM, nor Polak.
- Hand coloured plates
- 18th Century & earlier, Dutch
- Stock ID